Thursday, March 14, 2013

openSUSE 12.3 is here!

openSUSE 12.3 was released on March 14th and it is awesome. So far, I've installed it on six of my machines and with the exception of one reboot that failed, I have had no problems.

You can grab the ISOs here: http://software.opensuse.org/123/en

I suggest you grab the torrent and download that way. As of right now, there are nearly a thousand seeds for the 64-bit version and a bit over 500 for the 32-bit version, ensuring that your download will be very fast.

The release announcement goes over all of the changes, but some of the ones that I'm excited about are:
  • Version 3.7 of the Kernel
  • PulseAudio 3 (with better Bluetooth audio support)
  • UEFI support (I haven't tested this yet)
  • KDE 4.10, which is getting to be a very nice desktop environment
  • MariaDB (instead of Oracle's MySQL)
They have also released the following introduction to KDE video, which explains a lot of the features and tricks to using KDE effectively. I've been using KDE for around 12 years and even I learned a couple of things that I didn't know already.

No comments:

Post a Comment